When I was a young lad on holiday with my family, the Air Hockey Table was one of my favourite games to play. On an evening or a wet and windy day I would ask to visit the arcade to play a game with my dad. Although the games were close, I would usually end up the winner (dad would always have a knowing smile on his face whilst watching me jump for joy – mmm, do you think he let me win?).
Best Air Hockey Tables
Today, you no longer need to wait until you’re on holiday or to visit an arcade. You can purchase a home air hockey table and play as many games as you like with your friends and family. Below is a quick view table to some of the best air hockey tables we have reviewed. Further on, our air hockey table reviews will provide more information on each table.
Our Number 1 Pick
Before you start, there are a few key things you need to know. There are numerous versions and sizes to choose from. There are free-standing, fold away, light weight and heavy tables for you to consider depending on the skill level, age of player, available space and budget. If your budget doesn’t stretch to our number 1 pick or you require something smaller, one of the air hockey tables below should match your needs.
This guide will provide details of what we consider the best air hockey tables available to help you choose which is most suitable for your needs. We will break the guide down into relevant sections based on the type / size of table and who it is best suited too based on age and skill level. To help you with your research, we will apply our Fun Bucks ratings at the end of each review to help you decide which is the best air hockey table for the money.
- Tabletop Air Hockey Games – Perfect for small kids and beginners
- Free Standing Air Hockey Games
2.1 – 4ft Air Hockey Tables
2.2 – 5ft Air Hockey Tables
2.3 – 7ft Air Hockey Tables
2.4 – Pro / Full Size Air Hockey Tables
- Air Hockey Table Buying Guide
- Common Air Hockey Questions
Air Hockey Table Reviews
Best TableTop Air Hockey Game
If you have small children or don’t have the room for a large air hockey table, the tabletop air hockey game could be the best air hockey table for kids. There are no legs and it simply sits on a table or on the floor. They tend to be between 2ft and 4ft long which is perfect if you have little space and storage. The tabletop can be stored away quickly and easily after use. These models are primarily aimed at the younger kids market and beginner skill level.
This is a great entry-level gift but may not be big enough, fast enough or robust enough for older kids, teenagers and/or adults who want a more serious and heavy-duty table.
If you’re looking for a good but reasonably priced Tabletop game then the models below could be a good fit for you.
Sport Squad HX40 Electric Powered Air Hockey Table Review
Our top pick value for money table top air hockey table. The beauty of Sport Squad HX40 Electric Powered Air Hockey Table is that it’s a relatively inexpensive game that can be set-up in seconds on almost any flat surface.
It takes up very little room and can just as easily be stored away in a cupboard or under a bed. This is an ideal starter size for the young players in the family. The quality may not be as good as some of the more expensive table top models but it’s still good enough to enjoy the game. If your kids are young and / or you want a great starter table then the Sport Squad HX40 is a very good option.
- Great starter table for young children.
- Electric powered airflow for smooth puck gliding.
- Made of durable wood / MDF.
- It has rubber feet for a firm hold and scratch prevention for your table or floor.
- It comes with a simple manual scoring.
- Size – 40 inches x 20 inches x 5 inches and 10.7lbs.
- It’s Quick and easy Set-up.
- Although suitable for older kids, teenagers may want a larger table.
- A few buyers have mentioned the puck can fly off when hit really hard (see point above).
- A customer mentioned an issue with the fan being installed the wrong way therefore the puck did not glide. Amazon quickly exchanged the product.
Fun Bucks Rating: The Sports Squad HX40 Electric Powered Air Hockey Table is a great choice and fantastic option for young, novice players and for parents who have little space but want a table that is value for money.
Carrom Power Play Air Hockey Game Review
If you are looking for the best tabletop air hockey table then you won’t go far wrong with the Carrom Power Play Air Hockey Table. This is a great table that is built to a very good standard. You receive free-standing table quality with the convenience of a tabletop set-up. It has protective corners, metal trims and it looks and feels sturdy.
The downside to the quality aspect is that you will pay more for it. However, you will get a better game feeling and it will hold up to some serious play time from young and old players alike.
- Well known brand.
- Sturdy and looks like an arcade model.
- High output electric motor for great puck gliding.
- Easy to assemble with adjustable feet.
- Size – 42.8 inches x 24.8 inches x 7.5 inches.
- High scoring customer reviews.
- A great brand however it is more expensive than other table top models.
Fun Bucks Rating – The Carrom Power Play Air Hockey Game is a quality table and a great beginners choice with some excellent customer reviews. It is very well made and will take a lot of beating from eager players. However it costs more than the Sports Squad and other table top models. If budget is not an issue, this is my choice.
Playcraft Sport 40-Inch TableTop Air Hockey Review
The Playcraft Sport 40 is similar to the Sport Squad in that it is a good starter tabletop game. In my opinion, this is a starter model aimed at the junior market. Quick to assemble and store away in a cupboard or under the bed. With the Playcraft Sport 40 you can be set-up and playing in minutes.
- Great fun for the younger kids.
- Electric powered motor.
- Solidly built.
- Puck catcher for quick puck returns.
- Size 40 inches x 20 inches x 8 inches. A good starter size that will fit on dining tables or on the floor.
- May not be suitable for older children who will require something more sturdy.
- A few customers have had problems with the fan installed incorrectly. Some customers have fixed the fan by turning it up the other way or returned the product for a new one.
Fun Bucks Rating – The Playcraft Sport 40 is a good value option to consider, however in my opinion the Sport Squad looks visually better and at the time of writing and at certain outlets it was found to be more expensive than the Sport Squad. It is still a good budget tabletop choice.
Free Standing Air Hockey Tables
There are numerous makes and models of free-standing tables and they come in different sizes, prices and quality. Size and price will be an issue for many parents and players. You need a table that fits your available space at a fun bucks price that’s right for your budget. With this in mind, we have broken down our free-standing tables research by table size, skill level and fun bucks to give you what we consider are the best air hockey tables for this category.
4ft (48″) Air Hockey Table Reviews
Many of the free-standing 48″ versions are what we would describe as beginner level and / or budget tables. They tend to be less that $100 pucks, I mean bucks and are great for younger kids or anyone looking to play the occasional game. If you’re looking to play on a regular basis and / or if you’re making a purchase for older kids /teenagers / adults you may need to spend more for a better built model. Below are some of the better known 4 foot tables.
Hathaway Hat Trick 4 foot Air Hockey Table Review
Our top rated value for money 4ft air hockey table. The Hathaway Hatrick 4ft Air Hockey Table is made by a great brand of home table makers. Based on many purchasers feedback this is a well-built starter table and will provide a good playing experience for the younger kids of the family. In my opinion, they could have made it look it bit more better with their color choice but that’s just personal taste.
- Good entry-level model for a reasonable price.
- Goal boxes with manual score option as well electric scoring.
- Adjustable feet to allow for a level playing surface.
- Good airflow for puck gliding.
- Older kids / teenagers may need a larger model.
- Purchasers have said that the electronic scorer can sometimes be a bit sensitive.
Fun Bucks Rating – If you’re after a budget model, the Hathaway Hat Trick 48″ is a very good starter level, free-standing table. I personally prefer the looks and feedback from the Triumph but I would still recommend this and it will be great for a young family to enjoy.
Triumph Sports 48″ Air Powered Hockey Table Review
The Triumph Sports 48 inch air hockey table is another good value entry-level model that has some excellent reviews from parents. It comes with sturdy, reinforced legs to ensure a smooth game even if you have rough and tumble players.
In our opinion the motor is strong enough for the table which includes both electric and manual scoring options. This is a great 1st purchase choice for parents with young kids who are looking for a reasonable priced table for occasional family fun.
- Great price starter table
- Good quality build for the money
- Leg adjusters to ensure a level surface of un-even floors
- Electronic and manual scoring options
- This may not be big enough for older kids (8+) or adults
- Some purchasers said the puck can leave the table if hit aggressively
Fun Bucks Rating – The Triumph 48″ is a good value purchase for an entry-level, 4foot free-standing table. It doesn’t take up a lot of room and is a good choice if you are looking to have fun playing occasionally and would like a permanent set-up in a kid’s bedroom or small games room.
Medal Sports 48″ Air Powered Hockey Table Review
The Medal Sports 4 Foot Air Hockey Table is another entry-level model for the junior player that has some good reviews. This is a good 1st purchase choice for parents with young kids who are looking for a reasonably priced table for occasional use. It comes with electric and manual scoring options. In my opinion, the graphics are definitely geared towards the younger age market.
- Reasonably priced starter table
- Suitable for younger kids
- Quick to assemble
- Constructed from MDF and plastic and may not take long-term heavy use from older players
- No on / off switch – power direct from the socket
Fun Bucks Rating – This is another reasonably priced 4 ft table. It is very similar to the Hathaway and the Triumph and will be a good addition to a family game room. If you have young kids, this will be great. If your kids are getting older and you have the space, a 5ft option maybe more appropriate.
5Ft (60″) Air Hockey Table Reviews
The five foot tables are very similar to the 4ft tables in both make and quality (unless you have a bigger budget). The main difference is that they are slighty bigger. We class these as beginner tables for young kids aged 8 to 12. If you have older kids and the space, we would recommend a 7ft plus table. If you don’t have the space then the 5ft models can still be excellent fun and value for money.
Hathaway Face-Off 5 ft Air Hockey Table Review
Our top rated value for money 5ft air hockey table. The Hathaway Faceoff is another really solid table from Hathaway that would be great for beginners and kids up to 12 year olds and parents alike. Sometimes marketed as the Carmelli Face-off this is a good choice if you require something a little larger than a 4ft table for your kids but do not want to hit the more expensive 7Ft+ table range. The faceoff has a few neat features such as automatic puck return, electronic scoring and a good air flow system.
- Good entry-level model.
- Built in automatic puck return.
- Adjustable feet to allow for a level playing surface.
- Strong air flow for carrying the puck.
- Many purchasers state it’s a sturdy table.
- Simple to assemble.
- Teenagers / adults may want a 7ft Plus model.
- Goal sizes can be a bit small.
Fun Bucks Rating – There isn’t many reasonably priced 5ft tables, but the good news is the Hathaway is all you need at this size and price range. If you want a table that’s bigger and better than a 4ft table but won’t destroy the budget, The Hathaway could be for you. However, if your kids are getting older and you have the space a 7ft table would fit the bill perfectly.
7ft + Air Hockey table Reviews
The quality and price increases once you move into the 7ft plus tables. Like with most things in life you can pay a little or a lot for a 7ft table. The difference will be the quality of the table and who the table is aimed at in regards to skill levels. The following tables are great for a games room and can be enjoyed by all skill levels and will be perfect for older kids and parents / adults.
Playcraft Center Ice 7ft Air Hockey Table Review
Our top rated value for money 7ft air hockey table. The Playcraft Center Ice is a top 7ft games room version that comes with a very competitive price tag. If you want a table that looks and feels like an arcade model but doesn’t come with the arcade price, this is the one.
The electronic scorer is great and the table has over hanging edges to stop the puck from flying off the table when playing aggressively. A quick tip though if you decide to purchase this great table – purchase larger 3.25″ pucks. You will thank me for it. The original pucks are to light for the table.
- Looks just like an arcade table.
- The rail hangs reduce the chance of the puck from leaving the table.
- Hide away electronic scoring.
- Thick, strong legs and adjustable feet to allow for a level playing surface.
- Can take heavy, daily use.
- Purchaser reviews state they are very happy with this table
- Simple to assemble.
- Depending on how aggressive the play is, you may want to order slightly larger 3-1/4 inch pucks
Fun Bucks Rating – If you’re in the market for a 7ft table but don’t want to pay 4 figures then in my opinion this is one of the best options on the market. The Playcraft Center Ice is a very sturdy, well-built table that looks and plays like an arcade model. This would look good in anyones games room, office or man cave.
American Heritage Monarch Air Hockey Table Review
If you want something more arcade retro, then look no further than the American Heritage Monarch air hockey table. Not only does it look like an arcade game, its sounds like one. It comes with a number of sound effects when goals are scored, it has an electric count down that will buzz when the game is over and it can play a number of arcade style tunes.
There are two scoring options, manual or electronic. The difference being from many other tables is that the electronic scores are presented overhead. Many customers have said the air flow is very good.
- It looks great.
- Overhead digital scoring plus quality manual scoring on each side.
- Arcade style tunes and count down
- Easy to assemble.
- Powerful airflow and smooth puck action.
- Did we say it looks great!
- This thing is heavy – make sure there is more than one person to handle delivery and assembly.
- A bit more expensive than the Playcraft Centre Ice or the Atomic Blazer but there’s a lot more table for your money.
Fun Bucks Rating – This table certainly has the wow factor and the overhead scorer and electronic sounds makes you feel like you’re playing in an arcade. Customers agree it plays very well, it’s sturdy and very good-looking, A great piece of game furniture fun for any games room.
Atomic Blazer 7′ Hockey Table Review
The atomic Blazer is a very reasonably priced 7ft table. Style wise, it looks good and has a strong air flow. Some customers have mentioned that the white playing surface can mark and scuff easily. Other customers have mention the build quality could be better.
When making a purchase such as this, you do need to way up the price you pay with the quality you receive. In my opinion, if you are looking for something more sturdy the two options above will be great, if you are looking for a professional table, see the gold standard below. However, if you’re looking for something that will be played on occasionally at a price that is very competitive compared to other options, the Atomic Blazer may be ok for your needs.
- 120v air blower resulting fast puck speeds.
- Increased overhang to reduce the puck from flying off the table when the game gets a bit competitive.
- Leg adjustments to allow for a level paying surface.
- Can be adapted for use as a Table Tennis table with a conversion kit.
- Size – 7 foot long x 4 foot wide x 2 foot 8″ high.
- Some customers have mentioned the build quality could be better.
- A customer mentioned that the puck can leave marks on the playing surface through excessive use. This can / will happen with many models.
Fun Bucks Rating – The Atomic Blazer looks like an arcade model but at a fraction of the price. Some customers have mentioned the build quality, whilst others are very satisfied with their purchase. Our choice though would be the Playcraft Ice which is in the same ball park for price.
Pro Style Full Size Air Hockey Table Reviews
The pro style air hockey tables are full size and are perfect for heavy-duty use in a games room, man cave, youth club, office or arcade. They are the ultimate boys (and girls) toy. These models are built to last and look fantastic. They do cost more than the ‘made for home use’ tables. But there is a reason for this – build quality and professional game conditions. Therefore, if you have the budget and space here is our best air hockey table recommendation for this category.
Gold Standard Games Home Pro Elite Air Hockey Table Review
Our top rated Pro style table. All of the above tables are home rec tables that will be great for games room or man cave fun. However, if you are looking for a professional style table, that is built by a world champion and approved by other world champions – Gold Standard is a brand that makes some of the best air hockey tables and is the way forward.
These air hockey tables are built and set-up to handle tournament style play. Made from the finest quality materials including aluminium rails and waterproof tops. It comes with automatic scoring with sound options and glorious air flow which will provide you with the very best playing experience.
- Built by world champions for champions and game table heroes.
- Commercial air blower for top quality puck glide and speed.
- competition face-off line and circle.
- Large 3 -3/4 ” pro puck size
- Aluminium frame and rails to reduce bounce.
- Water resistant and wear resistant laminate surface.
- Infrared scorer and sound options
- Size – 85 1/2 ” long x 45 1/2″ wide x 31 ” high
Fun Bucks Rating – If you purchase a Gold Standard Table you know you are buying quality. Why? because they are designed and made by world champion players. These tables are used by amateurs and pros alike. So if you want to feel what it’s like to play on a professional table that comes with a very reasonable price tag for the quality you receive – this top rated air hockey table is the one and in our opinion it is one of the best air hockey tables for this market.
Air Hockey Table Buying Guide
To help some more I thought it would be useful if we put together a mini buying guide on things to consider and what to look out for when searching and purchasing a new or second-hand air hockey table.
Types of Table
For me, I like to categorise the tables into three headings:
The tabletop version is exactly how it sounds. It is a version that sits on top of a table, floor or other flat surface. It will not have large legs like the free-standing versions but they will have small sometimes adjustable legs of a few centimeters. These tables are great if you have limited space and want to quickly set it up and store it away after use. In my opinion these games are aimed at the kids market or someone who just wants to have some quick fun occasionally.
The free-standing versions will have self-supporting legs. The majority of them will not be fold-away and they can come a range of sizes. They also come in a range of price tags based on the size, the build quality and whether they are for the home use market, arcade style market or the professional / tournament market.
The multi-game version is where the game table is a mixture of games for example, an air hockey table, a pool table and a ping pong table. It does this by either flipping the table to reveal a different game on the underside or by adding a layer on top of the table. There are some great options available however if you are looking for the best air hockey table for your money and you are not worried about other games – this may not be the best choice.
Size and Available Space
When looking for a top rated air hockey table you need to be aware of the space you have available. You need to ensure that not only the table fits in the space, but there is adequate space for a person to stand at each end of the table to hit the puck. Therefore I would add at least another 18″/24″ either end.
There are several things to consider when looking at the construction elements of the table.
Many of the tabletop or small free-standing tables are made of plastic and board materials. The larger tables will be more solidly built and the best air hockey table manufacturers and professional tables will be made from metal and solid wood. The more you pay tends to equate to better built tables.
You will notice that the puck glides when playing air hockey. This is due to air that is pumped through little holes on the playing surface. The air is powered by a motorized fan. Therefore, the better the motor, the more power it will have. This will distribute the air evenly across the table, will be, which means the puck will glide better, resulting in a great game.
Not every surface is perfectly flat or level. This is why the many options will have leg levellers attached to the bottom of the legs. This will help ensure you play the game on a flat surface even if your floor isn’t.
Although a beginner can play on any type of table, personally I would go with either a tabletop of 4ft / 5ft home type table. This way you can purchase a table without breaking the budget and trade up later if you or your family enjoy the game. Just remember the lower end tables may not put up with prolonged every day use.
The intermediate player will be better suited to a mid-range table that is a little more sturdy due to the construction materials. These tend to be bigger. If you got the room, I would recommend a 7ft table such as the PLAYCRAFT CENTRE ICE or AMERICAN HERITAGE. Both tables are great for the intermediate market and will provide a very realist game experience.
For the advanced player, the tables mentioned above will be great however, if the budget will stretch, I would go for the GOLD MEDAL. The reason being that it is designed by professional players and world champions who know how an air hockey table should play and respond. These tables are made from solid materials and are built to be played and enjoyed daily.
A great starting point for kids would be a tabletop version or perhaps a 4ft free-standing table. These models are not very expensive and if the kids really enjoy playing on a regular basis you move up to a larger better quality table at that point.
Although anyone can play the smaller tables. teenagers may require a larger, more sturdy table. Teenagers tend to play the game a bit harder than kids and you will require a table that is up to the task.
If you are looking to play regularly at home or perhaps at the office then a well made 7ft table or pro table is probably the correct choice. As we get older we tend to get more competitive and play the game ‘harder’. If this sounds like you are your family, then you will require a robust table than can handle a more vigorous style of play.
At the end of the day, many purchase decisions comes down to finding the best you can for the budget you have available. Many of the tabletop and 4ft air hockey games are within the budget range. As the table size increases so will the costs. The costs will increase further again as the construction materials improve. Therefore my advice to you is pick a budget, read the reviews above and see if any of what we consider to be the best air hockey tables for each category will satisfy your needs.
The above reviews should help you find an air hockey table if you are searching for the:
- best air hockey table under $200
- best air hockey table under $300
- best air hockey table under $400
- best air hockey table under $500
- best air hockey table under $1000
Common Air Hockey Questions
1. What is Air Hockey?
Air hockey is a game played by two people standing at each end of a table (similar in size to a pool table) that has a flat playing surface. Air is used to help the puck (flat disc) glide across the table. Think of a hovercraft gliding across the water. The object of the game is to score a goal by hitting the puck with a mallet / paddle into the opposition goal.
2. What is the official Air Hockey Table Size?
Air hockey tables can come in various shapes or sizes however the approved tournament size tables by the USAA (United States Air Hockey Association) and the AHPA (Air Hockey Players Association) are 8 foot tables. One of the best know approved tables is the Gold Standard.
3. Is Air Hockey a Sport?
Yes – Tournaments are held throughout the world and there is an annual world championship. Two of the larger associations are (USAA (United States Air Hockey Association) and the AHPA (Air Hockey Players Association).
4. What are air Hockey Pucks Made from?
Most home use air hockey pucks are made from heavy-duty plastic. The official pucks are made from lexan polycarbonate resin. The plastic pucks will cost you less and should be fine for home use. Just remember to buy the right size and weight puck for your table length.
5. How to Stop Air Hockey Pucks Flying off the Table
One of the most frustrating parts of playing air hockey is when the puck flies off the table. If you have played air hockey more than once or twice then I am sure you know what I mean…
Picture this – You are in the middle of a great rally, the point can go either way, you see an opening and go on the offensive. You see the opportunity and you set up a bank shot and bam, the puck hits the side wall and flies off the table.
Or, you just hit the puck far too hard and it bobble across the surface and then leaves the table. No matter how it happens, it stops the game and you need to start again. Plus, if this happens regularly, it takes all the fun out of this great game.
Below are a few reasons why this happens and tips to help you reduce the chance of the puck leaving the table when playing air hockey.
- Don’t use damaged pucks. Always ensure your pucks are in good condition. You should aim to strike the puck cleaning. If your pucks are chipped or cracked it will increase the likelihood of a poor connection which can result in the puck leaving the table.
- A clean table – make sure there is no debris on the table before starting a game. This is an obvious tip, however even the smallest bit of debris can affect a pucks gliding ability and could create the puck to jump.
- The weight of the Pucks. Always ensure the puck is the correct weight for the size of table and the air pressure it exerts. If the pucks are to light for the table it will inevitably result in more pucks bouncing and air getting beneath them. If you think this could be the problem you could glue / attach a small metal washer or coin to the top to test it. It’s time to invest in some new pucks if this results in less bobbing and bouncing off the table.
- The size of the Pucks. Are your pucks too big or too small for the table that you play on? Pucks that are too small is a similar problem to pucks that are too light. Play with the manufactures recommended puck weight and size.
- Hitting the puck too hard. Are you trying to smash the puck through the opposite wall every time you hit it? Although there are power shots, the strike should be a clean strike. The contact you make with the mallet will determine the direction of travel and how the puck reacts. Below is a great video on how to play air hockey and hitting the puck correctly.
- The Table – is the air flow too powerful or not powerful enough ? Does your table have a damaged surface? If the your air hockey table is coming to the end of it’s life span, it may be time to upgrade. Our air hockey table reviews above can help inform your decision if that’s what you require. However, I would exhaust the options highlighted before spending money on new table.
The above should help you keep the puck on the table, resulting in better rallies and lot’s more fun.
If you are still deciding on what table to buy then take a look at our best air hockey table guide above which provides details of different types of tables included our top rated models.
GT HERO SUMMARY
The game is great fun for all the family. You can play it from a very early age and through adulthood. It can be as quick and as competitive as you want to make it and the better models can be a real feature of any room or man cave. We know there are numerous tables to select from. Which one you choose will depend on the age of the player, the skill level, your available space and of course your budget. We hope the tables above provide you with a great number of options to make your decision easier when reviewing the best air hockey table for your particular needs. Now it’s time to unleash the Game Table Hero from within.
If you would like more information on any of the above air hockey table reviews or would like us to review a specific product, simply complete the contact form and we will get back to you.